DEPARTMENT P-FOOD PRESERVATION (Adult and Junior) Adult & Junior Chair- Betsy Lowe
Mildred Banks Memorial Trophy
will be awarded to the Junior Canning judged Best in Show.
will be awarded to the Adult Canning judged Best in Show.
will be awarded to the Junior exhibit judged Best in Show of Jelly,
Jam, Preserves, Marmalade, Butter, Conserve, or Fruit Juice
will be awarded to the Adult exhibit judged Best in Show of Jelly,
Jam, Preserves, Marmalade, Butter, Conserve or Fruit Juice.
will be awarded to the Junior preserving exhibit judged Best in Show in Pickling.
will be awarded to the Adult exhibit judged Best in Show in Pickling.
1. All exhibits for competition must be entered in the name of the maker. Any previously exhibited jar will not be eligible to compete. All jars must be standard pint, quart, or half pint, and must be marked as to the manufacturer, such as Mason, Ball or Kerr. The name of exhibitor should not be on the exhibit. All entries must be dated with month and year. Jar rings must be on jars. Do not cover tops of jars with fabric or paper.
2. All jellies, jams, preserves and marmalades must be sealed by water bath method. Vegetables must be pressure canned. These are USDA regulations.
3. Collections will be judged on variety, quality, attractiveness, and educational value. All best collections of twelve (12) entries must be contained in a sturdy box or basket separate of other entries. All jars must be labeled as to contents and dated.
4. Judges reserve the right to open and sample any entries.
5. Miscellaneous class entries should have no named class.
6. Entries are judged on liquid and content level.
******* To further stimulate the art of home food preservation, Jarden Home Brands, Marketers of Ball and Kerr Fresh Preserving Products is proud to recognize today's fresh preserving (canning) enthusiasts. 1st and 2nd Place Awards and Fresh Preserving product coupons will be given to individuals judged as the best in designated categories.
A panel of judges will select the two best entries for Fruit,
Vegetable, Pickle, and Soft Spread categories. Entries must be preserved
in Ball jars with Ball lids and bands or Ball Collection Elite jars sealed
with Collection Elite lids and bands, or preserved in Kerr jars sealed
with Kerr lids and bands. In addition, soft spread entries must be
prepared using Ball pectin: Classic, Low or No Sugar Needed or Liquid.
1. French String Beans
2. Green String Beans
3. Wax String Beans
4. Beets (Cut) no vinegar
7. Black-eyed Peas
8. June Peas
9. White Potatoes
10. Tomatoes (Plain)
11. Tomatoes (Stewed-Other Vegetables)
12. Mixed Vegetables for Soup
13. Miscellaneous - Identify
14. Apple Sauce
15. Pie Apples
22. Mixed Fruits (2 Fruits)
23. Miscellaneous - Identify
Clear pint or half pint marked jars. Strained juices from fruit must be crystal clear.)
32. Pepper Jelly or Jam - Red or Green
33. Raspberry Jelly
34. Miscellaneous - Identify
(Clear pint or half pint marked jar. Crushed fruit and sugar, cooked until thick.)
36. Strawberry Jam
39. Huckleberry or Blueberry
42. Pear Honey
46. Miscellaneous - Identify
(Clear pint or half pint marked jar. Fruit or mixture of fruits cooked with equal amounts of sugar. Fruits retain original shape.)
58. Miscellaneous - Identify
(Clear pint or half pint marked jar. Fruit or combination of fruits cut up into small pieces).
61. Miscellaneous - Identify
FRUIT BUTTERS AND CONSERVES
( Clear pint or half pint marked jar. Fruit pulp pressed through a sieve and cooked with sugar and spices).
63. Miscellaneous - Identify
( Clear pint or quart marked jars)
64. Apple juice
65. Grape 5
67. Peach Nectar
68. Pear Nectar
69. Miscellaneous - Identify
70. Bread and Butter
71. Cucumber and Onion Cut
72. Sweet Cucumber -(Whole or Sliced)
73. Sour Cucumber -(Whole or Sliced)
74. Dill or Kosher (Whole, Sliced or Spears)
75. Sweet Mixed Cucumber
76. Mustard Pickles
77. Miscellaneous - Identify